Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

START - Shelter Dogs and Me - (1) Diezel

Late in 2008 the pleasure I had derived from doing income taxes on a volunteer basis faded away - friends say I came to my senses. So in December I began the training for volunteer work with dogs at the Humane Society of Sarasota County. What follows are observations about some of the dogs that became my friends and whom I shall not forget.

During my "shadowing" period (i.e. training and observation) there were a few dogs - the Pit Bull mixes - that while not exactly frightening, certainly made me wary. HSSC has Pit mixes that have been rescued or surrendered in abundance. Except for giving them snacks through the wire, I stayed away from them for a couple of weeks. Then one afternoon Diezel accepted the snack I offered him through the wire with a remarkable gentleness. In response I opened his cage, stuck my hand in and attached the leash. Diezel was a bulky, 80 pound, white and black Pit/Terrier mix with the distinctive pink nose. Once out of the cage Diezel powered his way down the aisle with me flailing in his wake. Out in one of the penned-in areas we played around and got to know each other. He enjoyed my snacks - small chunks of Ballpark hot dogs that were cooked in the microwave. At one point after I sat down Diezel came over and simply threw his head on my lap. Drooling profusely he opened his jaws and pleaded "more delicious snacks please". As I dropped pieces of frankfurter into that cavernous abyss my wariness of Pit Xs as more threatening than other breeds ended. I remain wary of all strange dogs. But in fact Pits, intelligent, eager to please, are now among my favorite dogs. Diezel was adopted days after our first meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment