Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shelter Dogs (9) Tyson

Tyson was in the kennel for perhaps three months. He was a most handsome Terrier/Pit Bull mix, tall and lean. His coloring was a dramatic brindle/white. Tyson bounded high in his cage when I approached and prepared to take him out. We went to class together several times and he was always well behaved. For a big, rather fierce looking dog Tyson was gentle - afraid of the sound of tumbling in a nearby clothes dryer. With Tyson I repeated and emphasized to myself that I needed to employ a high level of personal emotional control when dealing with all these animals. He was going to get adopted. Adoptions are happy moments - an excited dog leaves the kennel with a happy new owner for a "forever home". I was treating adoptions as a personal loss. So with this fine animal I was absolutely determined to be more controlled, cool and detached. Happily Tyson was adopted by a young man who's own dog had died six months earlier. He was now going to return to Ohio with his new, handsome dog. But as for me I felt miserable. The next day gloomily looking into his empty cage and I felt like quitting. But then a few cages away, loudly demanding attention with a high pitched bark was a powerful, midsize Pit Bull named Emmitt.  And so it goes.

 In June 2010 Emmitt's young playmate at Satchel's Last Resort was adopted. In October Emmitt was adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment