Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shelter Dogs - (6) Jasper, (7) Emmitt

On May 18th, 2010, I took Jasper to obedience class, our second together. We spent about an hour together before class just kind of "hanging out" and enjoying the AC in the training room. Jasper had only been in the kennel for a couple of weeks. He was a 60 pound German Sheperd/Pit mix, beige colored with yellow eyes. He was also young, two years old and still acting at times like a puppy. In class Jasper was brilliant - one drill required that he walk, stop and sit rapidly on command ten times. Jasper did it so flawlessly that the other eight handlers applauded him. After class, very pleased with him (and myself) I took him out for his final walk, a "wiz" and a delicious snack. Then I returned him to his cage.

As I was putting Jasper away I heard loud barking at the end of the pod. There was Emmitt, a beige combination of American Pit Bull and Abraham's tank behind the fence in the common yard. Emmitt and I had gone to class at least three times and he was a great dog, friendly and obedient - he liked to roll around and play. His favorite game was to rollover on his back, kick all paws like a puppy and have me scratch his stomach. It was all fun. But within the past week Emmitt had flashed his impressive teeth at a staff member and ended up in the quarantine section. Pleased to see him I went down the aisle and gave my good friend a half dozen hot dog chunks. I walked back up the aisle and was about to leave when I heard Emmitt bark again. So I trudged back to him and gave him another snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment