Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shelter Dogs - (5) Snickers

Snickers had the last cage at the end of a pod (February 2010). She was a beige, German Shepherd/Pit Bull mix and very reactive to other dogs. The first time I took her out of her cage and started up the aisle towards the door, Snickers growled, barked and snapped at every dog on the way out. All the dogs responded and an ear aching bedlam ensued. I would take Snickers to school several times but it was at the second class that she paid me the finest compliment she had to bestow. Snickers, the snarling "I can whip any dog in this kennel" of our first meeting became my gentle, snack devouring companion. Snickers obeyed every command, completed every exercise and together we watched in baffled disbelief as other dogs would occasionally challenge each other. Snickers was having such a pleasant relaxed evening that with dogs very close on either side she casually rolled over on her back and exposed her stomach for me to scratch. Snickers was saying that this was a fine evening and that she knew that nothing bad could possibly happen to her while she was with me. Snickers was adopted and I know nothing else about this fine dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment