Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Shelter Dogs - (2) Diva

On the afternoons I visit the kennels I try to work with five or six dogs - a "gang of six". The purpose is to get as many dogs as personal energy allows, out for some exercise, training and to simply fuss over. Seeing several animals also allows me to spread my emotions out and prevent over attachment to any single dog. Effective management of emotions I have discovered is a continuing issue in dealing with "shelter" dogs. For instance I was attracted to Diva because she looked like my deceased dog Swede - somewhat. Diva was a midsize Chow/Husky mix and sandy colored. She was reasonably friendly but suspicious. I tried periodically to brush out her thick hair, but unlike Swede she tolerated it only briefly. Diva was adopted, had her hair clipped short by her new owner and looked very good in a follow up photo sent to HSSC. Diva was a fine dog and I did miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment