Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Shelter Dogs, (3) Heidi

Heidi however, was the first shelter dog with which I fell in love. She was a black and yellow German Shepherd with a dash of Doberman. Heidi was beautiful, friendly and I thought we were hitting it off very well. We had our picture taken together. Then one day (March 2009) I tried to take Heidi out of her cage but she refused to come. She acted fearful and almost ashamed. Dejected I went on to another dog. Within two days Heidi was adopted and her picture with the new owner appeared among those on the bulletin board. I was outright jealous. Nearly a year later I learned that Heidi during those days had nipped someone and the behaviorists were trying to figure out how to reclassify or more ominously remove her from the kennel. With Heidi under a cloud and deeply concerned about her future another HSSC volunteer stepped up and adopted her. He was also in love with Heidi.

No comments:

Post a Comment