Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Shelter Dogs - (7) Emmitt continued.

photo by emileefuss.com
I left Emmitt and went to a meeting of K-9 Coaches and the staff behaviorists. At these meetings the HSSC dogs were evaluated. I was attending for the first time and just listened. First order of business - Emmitt was to be removed - he had been evaluated by the behaviorists as simply too dangerous. It was felt that staff were at risk everytime they tried to deal with him. Emmitt an "outside" dog had been in the kennel now for about eight months. Perhaps "kennel stress" was effecting his behavior. As the father of a daughter who had been face bitten by a dog and required plastic surgery I understood the concerns perfectly. But Emmitt was also my friend and I fely myself sliding into a deep gloom. Leaving the meeting I was emotionally relieved that I had at least walked back down the aisle to give Emmitt a last treat.

On the way out of the HSSC that afternoon I found a half dozen people gathered in the lobby to cheer and say goodbye to Elsie. A gentle, twelve year old, nondescript black and white - the only word that seems to fit Elsie is "mutt". To the immense pleasure of all, Elsie had been adopted. The staff/volunteers had bathed, brushed and scented her with baby powder. Elsie's claws had been trimmed and she received a new collar and neckerchief. Her travel bag included her toys and tennis balls. Good luck Elsie.

No comments:

Post a Comment